Since 1980 I have specialized in resolving business contract and commercial issues, representing and advising San Francisco Bay Area companies in a variety of industries, including automotive, alcoholic beverage, agricultural, chemical, clothing and apparel, dental, distribution and wholesale, electronics, marine, software, real estate, entertainment, equipment manufacturing, fine arts, jewelry and rare coinage. I also represent my clients in non-business matters, such as trust and probate, real property, general litigation and other ordinary-person issues.
I have tried numerous cases to verdict and judgment, and through appeal. I represent both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal court matters ranging from small business, contract and trust disputes to large and complex, multi-party litigations. My work includes ongoing experience in mediation and arbitration of disputes – the Alternative Dispute Resolution (“ADR”) procedures that now predominate in both state and federal courts and end up resolving most cases without trial.
I communicate clearly with clients, so they understand their situations, but also to assure they are as involved as they would like to be in their cases and able provide effective assistance in getting them resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Though I have practiced for over 40 years, I recognize the importance of being up to date technologically, and and stay on top of (and use) ongoing developments in electronic case management and communications that have provided attorneys with leverage, mobility and efficiencies not possible even a few years ago.
Benjamin H. Ballard
5/5.0 Peer Rating
Independently conducted by Martindale
- “AV” (highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell peer-review national rating service.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D. 1980
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., honors, 1975
- 1980 – 1997, Thacher, Albrecht & Ratcliff, San Francisco, California. San Francisco financial district firm specializing in business law and litigation, general litigation, and probate and trust matters. (Partner (1988 – 1997.)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Claims
- U.S. District Court, all California districts
- California, all courts
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Marin County Bar Association